About Me

My photo
i am a creative person. mother to a daughter who is an active young woman and a constant blessing in my life. i hope that you enjoy your visit here and that you will return often.

Sunday, July 12, 2009

inside of my great grandmothers' beautiful antique sewing cabinet there are a few remnants of her past life. bits that were in it when it was given to me . . . and that i felt, should be left as found.

the old red cardboard box is actually labeled as a bible box. my grandmother used it for a few loose buttons and needles and the odd bit of thread wound onto a cardboard holder. i wonder where the bible has gone to . . . ? . . .inside the door is a cubby that holds the box of CLINTON No. 5 - DRESSMAKER PINS and the bible box and several very dusty spools of thread. i think that there is something about going through these things of my grandmothers and feeling suddenly closer to her . . . a bittersweet comfort and reminder of who she was and what she valued . . . she was a strong, hardworking and gracious business woman whom i didn't know nearly well enough.

my grandmother also loved to garden and lived in California where she could and did grow quite a beautiful garden very successfully. i remember wandering through the front part of it as a six or seven year old child and having the feeling that it was pure magic . . . very thickly planted with an amazing variety of plants and very well tended with a "secret garden" sort of feel to it. she lived in the city but once in the garden, this fact was easily forgotten. in the back yard there was a lemon tree that was prolific and grandma would always send us home with a box of lemons if they happened to be ripe when we visited. my father loved lemons and was thrilled with this gift~!~ occasionally, on the years we couldn't visit, grandma would mail us a box of them, knowing that lemon trees didn't thrive in our part of the U.S. and that my dad had a special fondness for them.
i wonder sometimes it this isn't part of the reason that i love to garden . . . do you suppose gardening can be a geneticly inherited tendency?
this post surprises me . . . i really don't know why i'm thinking of my grandmother today. i usually think of her a lot in May, as that is the month in which she died. i do not know when her birthday was . . . or what prompts this bit of nostalgia . . . maybe the wonders of my own garden combined with the opening of the sewing cabinet created a magical combination that just couldn't be denied . . .

6 comments:

  1. Or maybe she's thinking about you, too. Our loved-ones live forever in our memories. I'm sure your grandmother would marvel at your beautiful garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi rhonda and thank you for the comment~!~

    :)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely that you are full of thoughts of your grandmother today. I think memories are beautifully mysterious and soul-building. I loved your sewing box photos and I always LOVE your garden shots! Happy day, libbyQ!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are lucy - our granmothers old thing!!
    A great photo to.....have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandmother is smiling on you today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you ladies for your comments~!~ i am lucky to have a few of my grandmothers things as they do remind me of her.

    :)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete

i love knowing what your thoughts are and knowing that you've paid a visit if you have the time to drop a line or two.

i attempt to answer all comments and/or questions. if this is important to you make sure you are not set on no reply which leaves me no way to get back to you.

Followers