About Me

My photo
i am a creative person. mother to a daughter who is an active young woman and a constant blessing in my life. i hope that you enjoy your visit here and that you will return often.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

jubilant slow sunday stitching


i turn 50 this year. this is a bigger deal than i thought it would be and i have very mixed feelings. i guess i have all year to work through those though and one of the things i realized is that i have never made a quilt just for me, myself and i.
it's high time i fixed that and so i will be working on my jubilee quilt (a quilt celebrating my 50th year). i plan on selfishly excluding as many other projects from this year as possible so as not to "steal" time/energy from this milestone project.

i will be using my string pieced tulips and i think that 50 is just about the right amount to include. they're actually quite large and so i won't be setting them into blocks. when thinking about this project previously i kicked around a variety of ideas but i've decided to set them into rows and create a tulip 'vine' with them. lots of scratching around with a pencil, calculator and graph paper has resulted in a rough plan and so i have a big green hand dyed vine and three tulips beginning to grow . . . this is largely a slow stitching kind of project and will take quite a while.



speaking of slow stitching, i was unable to work on my art journal/Journal52 prompt yesterday so this a.m. picked it back up again. it's looking like this might be a fiber page . . .

lots of slow stitching planned for today between the art journal page and the jubilee applique.
i'm joining up with Kathy of Kathy's Quilts for the slow sunday stitching event. it's been a while and i'm happy to be returning to see what everyone is up to within that forum.

Slow Sunday Stitching

recent gifts include:
  • being able to help when needed
  • noticing the colors of an early morning sunrise: swirly peaches/purples and intense blues
  • hearing the coo of the doves as they crowd around the winter feeder
  • enjoying a day out with other quilt minded ladies and a yummy pot luck lunch

21 comments:

  1. Libby, Love your idea of the jubilee quilt. What an excellent way to celebrate this milestone birthday! Wish I thought of that 5 years ago! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. the jubilee quilt isn't originally my own idea but I'm happy to be playing along.

      :-)
      libbyQ

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the trailing vines quilt! I think everyone should have a jubilee quilt. Although I didn't do one. I am working on a hexie quilt that I hope to finish some time near my 60th birthday. I really need to get to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your 50th year on the planet. What a fun quilt to celebrate your achievements. Love the centers of the tulips. Such a nice color to go with all the strings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.
      i hand dyed the fabric used for the centers of these tulips. it will be nice to include it within the quilt as a 'constant'; hopefully keeping chaos to a minimum.

      ;-)
      libbyQ

      Delete
  4. I love these tulips you made! They are absolutely darling... is the idea to applique them?? Where did you get this pattern? I really like it and will pin the pic but hope to hear back from you too! Did you do a tutuorial on these beautiful tulips ?? My sis in law loves tulips .. I may have to try this :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kathi.
      i have a link within the post (" string pieced tulips") that is a tutorial that i did at an earlier date within my blog and an explanation of where my inspiration came from.
      within the first shot the (first three) tulips are appliqued onto the vine. i will continue to applique rows with a vine sprouting more tulips.

      :-)
      libbyQ

      Delete
  5. I think all of my projects are slow stitching ones :0) I love your pieced tulips on a vine idea. It will be a fun quilt to make I think - the tulips are so happy. An excellent way to work through turning 50!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your string tulips are fabulous! Great Jubilee quilt idea.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The brightly colored pieced tulips are quite cheerful on a winter day. I like the printed background fabric. It has a more interest than plain white but does not take away from the other prints. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fifty is GREAT! Hooray for you!
    I'm glad you are making a quilt for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got the right idea with slow stitching ... it's the best kind! This will be a wonderful Jubilee quilt for sure and it's all your design, can't ask for more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, those tulips are adorable! You are so creative! And fifty is better than sixty, just saying, giggle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Embrace the 50! It is a good thing....
    Love what you've got started for your Jubilee quilt!!! I LOVE mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is just so bright, happy and cheerful with the pretty array of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great Jubilee quilt this will be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea for your 50th birthday. You'll never forget when you made the quilt either. I love the vine pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A jubilee quilt is a great idea. Love the plan you've got drawn up. Enjoy the process, hand stitching is so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so look forward to seeing the progress on your jubilee quilt. Based on what I see here it will be awesome! What a great way to celebrate your 50th year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It a gret adea. and your flowers are so colorful !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your celebration quilt idea! Look forward to seeing your scrappy garden grow this year!
    Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

i love knowing what your thoughts are and knowing that you've paid a visit if you have the time to drop a line or two.

i attempt to answer all comments and/or questions. if this is important to you make sure you are not set on no reply which leaves me no way to get back to you.

Followers