About Me

My photo
i am a creative person. mother to a daughter who is an active young woman and a constant blessing in my life. i hope that you enjoy your visit here and that you will return often.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

this morning brought an unexpected visitor to my garden. i don't think i've ever had a pigeon here before . . .
he(?) stayed quite a while, hanging out by the bird feeders but never partaking, and then went on his way.

the sky was mostly blue this morning and the sun shone brightly for a while.

this is the first year that i've had any success with artichokes. they require a long growing season and so this year i started them in the cold frame and hope to erect it back around them this fall while they finish up. i actually really like the look of dried artichoke flowers so i'm not sure yet if i'm going to eat them or just dry the flowers and keep them around to look at . . . maybe i'll get enough of a harvest that i can do both.
i am beginning to wonder if they are going to grow too large to get back inside the frame . . . the plants are huge~! it might be a good thing that i only planted two of them.

the Japanese eggplants are beginning to show some fruits and are full of promising buds. these are one of my favorite summer time treats: grilled with a little olive oil and salt & pepper.


there's something about a pear shape that is just gorgeous ~ even when it's actually a tomato~! these will turn golden as they ripen. it's the first year that i've tried them so i'm quite interested in how well they do and how tasty they might be.


shortly after getting these morning shots it got quite dark and the thunder and lightening commenced and we had a downpour of a shower. very nice. since i was rained out of the garden i went into my studio.


i'm working on a postcard for my daughter. her birthday is in august and i thought i would "bake" up a celebratory cupcake for the front of the card.
still working on it but it's coming along nicely.

i've managed to get these broken dishes blocks all sewn into rows. tomorrow i will sew all of the rows together and the body of my next charity quilt will be done. then it's on to deciding on a fabric for a four inch border to go all the way around.
the blocks were made from scraps that i've both accumulated myself and traded with others over a 20 year period of time . . . some of them seem quite dated and as i look at them i realize that i really have to do more to get rid of all the scraps as they make me feel old. i have made a dent but only a small one. sometimes i wonder what it would be like if i just gave them all away and started over . . . would i suddenly feel like a spring chicken again~!?!~

after the thunderstorms were past i went back out into the garden and shot some more photo's. the light was much better and everything was all moist from the rain.









this very tiny tan grasshopper was enjoying the newly freshened and cooled garden too.
i think it thought that it was well hidden under that small leaf . . .

5 comments:

  1. Your garden is just beautifil Libby and your photo skills are superb!!

    I've packaged up all my scraps and sent them away- it was a very nice feeling, although it didn't take long for them to accumilate again.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LibbyQ!
    I love the broken dishes!
    Don't feel old when you look at your scraps.
    Your garden photos are amazing again. You are growing some fascinating plants. I had to hover over Denver because of the storms. We almost had to land in Wyoming! It was a rocky landing but I'm glad to be home. Missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a day! Your very productive. Gardens and quilts. It looks like your going to have some amazing veggies. I have never had a garden fresh artichoke, but I would love to try one. The regular grocer store variety is delicious, a fresh one would be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Libby Q! I came over to look at these pictures again. SO LOVELY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have just given me the refreshment I have been craving for all day... I know exactly what grasshopper is feeling... Libby, your photography is extraordinary and truly transported me away from all this, and I thank YOU!
    :)
    How I would love taking pictures with you... And your quilt is gorgeous!
    How I love scrappy quilts...
    :)

    ReplyDelete

i love knowing what your thoughts are and knowing that you've paid a visit if you have the time to drop a line or two.

i attempt to answer all comments and/or questions. if this is important to you make sure you are not set on no reply which leaves me no way to get back to you.

Followers