today i've been finishing up my current set of prayer flags. i'll send one of them to my mom and hang the other on my front porch. i always make two very similar flags at a time; it seems like a good way for me to remember the other person in my thoughts and prayers.
i'm joining up with Kathy at Slow Sunday Stitching where she has a gorgeous hand pieced and appliqued block posted. there are other slow stitchers with beautiful work to show if you are interested in checking it all out.
this is my wonderful daughter's july postcard. i included bits of garbage that were collected while she was home for the fourth of july holiday as well as some alphabet brads, a stitched felt watermelon, and a smashed ginger ale bottle cap (from our own holiday table) with stitched sunny "rays". all placed onto a background woven out of skinny red, white and blue fabric strips. i randomly embroidered the strips to hold them in place and there is a blanket stitched edging around the whole thing. i used the "spine" of the blanket stitch to add more embroidery stitches around the outside of the card.
i mentioned to her that i thought this card was a bit chaotic/busy looking and she responded by saying that that was also a good demonstration of the fourth of july holiday.
recent gifts include:
- this weekend quietly spent with my daughter; pleasant chatter and some time for identifying the resident humming birds
- playing peek-a-boo with a cicada. it seemed very interested in hiding from me until it heard the clicking of my camera lens
- numerous white lilies blooming on the surface of the pond
- the gold fish willingly eating from my hands
- the taste and look of heirloom tomatoes
- homemade vanilla bean frozen yogurt